AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Which laptop should I buy?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Chimel
Posted 3/8/2015 12:35 (#4439825 - in reply to #4439376)
Subject: RE: Which laptop should I buy?

Even if you use only the web browser software at first, I would still suggest a real Windows laptop.
They usually have bigger screens, which is nicer even for video chats, not even mentioning watching online movies or TV shows, and they have a keyboard, even if it's a small one.
Later on, if you farm, you might want to install farm management or accounting software, or Google Earth Pro (which is now free), or maybe Microsoft or LibreOffice, or games, online books, music, etc. There are many options that you just cannot have on a tablet or Chromebook, which is a tablet with only the web browser Google Chrome installed on it, with a small invisible Linux-based operating system. Tablets have Apple iOS or Microsoft Windows operating system (or Windows RT for a few tablets), plus the web browser and any number of apps.

The key thing is to get set up professionally, with a good security/antivirus software, and to get trained on the do's and don'ts, like not installing anything you didn't explicitly request, not opening unsafe attachments in emails or programs on the web (and thus, knowing which attachments and programs are safe or normal, and which ones are potentially unsafe and adware/spyware/malware.)

Windows 8.1 comes with its own security suite, Defender, so that part is covered. For web browsing, I use exclusively Firefox with 2 add-ons: Adblock Plus and NoScript. The first one blocks all known ads and most popups, the second one blocks scripting on all sites by default, so you need to white-list explicitly each web site that you know to be safe the first time you visit it. I would not recommend this latter add-on if you are new to computers, as it makes the browsing experience safe, but somewhat confusing if you forget to white-list the web site or its subsites.

I am not really up to date on laptop offers, it changes by the day, but anything with an Intel i3 or i5 last generation processor should do the trick. Brands like Dell or Asus are usually good, and Dell have some enterprise models that may be even gooder. ;)
As always, check Consumer Reports and consumer reviews before deciding on a model. Buy from amazon.com or dell.com or asus.com, for instance. The thing is that you almost need a computer and Internet access if you want to purchase a computer and get a good Internet service provider, it's the chicken or the egg question... Otherwise, just go to the local computer store, they'll be able to help you out and you'll be set up for 2-3 years, during which you can practice your computer skills and decide what you'll really need as a replacement.

Edited by Chimel 3/8/2015 12:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)