AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

One Pass: Strip Till, Fertilize and Plant
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ww99
Posted 3/5/2015 11:36 (#4433091)
Subject: One Pass: Strip Till, Fertilize and Plant

Texas
I recently purchased an Orthman Combo Caddy that was advertised on this site in the Classifieds. I like the idea of strip tilling, fertilizing and planting all in one pass, but I have several questions for any of you who farm this way. In dry West Texas, I am interested in a one pass approach to minimize moisture loss. We typically "ridge till" here, but I would be attempting the one pass on flat beds with some milo stubble still standing. I own an 8 row 1Tripr and an 8 row John Deere Maxemerge 1700.

So my first question is do you offset the shank from the seedbed or not? On Orthman's website, I read recently the following: "In the strip-till scenario where either the Combo Caddy or a planter attachment is utilized, the precision tillage shank is offset from seed placement by 2"

Link to quote http://www.orthman.com/sites/default/files/literature/1tripr.pdf

However, when I spoke to an Orthman representative, he told me that the 1tripr is not offset and the shank runs directly in front of the planter in the seed bed. From the few posts on this forum that I could find concerning this topic, it doesn't appear that the planter or 1Tripr are offset. Since I will be trying to plant cotton eventually on my sub surface drip irrigation (ie I can't move the planter either way), I would like to find a way to move neither the 1Tripr or the planter. I did find some 1"x4" fertilizer shanks from Bigham Manufacturing that are made to offset fertilizer application by 3 to 4 inches. This shank is called the "JTill" and costs $338.00 per row. While I don't mind spendig a little more money on this experiment, I don't want to purchase these if I don't have to. I do have rolling baskets on my 1Tripr and for the past two years, I have strip tilled in the spring.

My second question is if I do offset the strip till or purchase the above mentioned shanks from Bigham Mfg., do I change the amount of fertilizer that I used directly in the seedbed last year? I striptill in late March and plant in late May. Should I use less in a one pass approach?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice. This is my first post, but I've enjoyed reading a lot of what is offered on the forums.

WW99
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)