AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gravity wagon slopes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 3/5/2015 10:47 (#4432943 - in reply to #4432756)
Subject: RE: Gravity wagon slopes

The more recent J&M 250's are pretty steep sloped but I think a DMI if you can find one would perhaps be even steeper.

Here is a picture of my J&M 250 

Many years ago I had an old gravity box for dry fertilizer. The wagon was not the very best to begin with but lasted many many years but the rust and corrosion keeps getting worse and worse no matter how well you keep it cleaned and oiled up.

Edit: If running a steel auger the best way to clean it is used ground up corn cobs soaked with used oil. That combo has sort of a scrubbing effect inside the auger.

There is no escaping the fertilizer dust getting in to every nook and cranny and every seam. I rusted out a steel auger replaced that with a PVC tube one with a SS hex core and segmented plastic auger flighting that slid on the hex shaft. That was a huge improvement.

However the fertilizer would only flow so much before you had to work or shovel it down to the door ( note this was on a less than ideal sloped wagon) get caught in the field with a pop up rain storm and your gonna have caked up hard fertilizer to deal with. Even a wet spell where your interrupted from planting for several days and it will draw moisture. You can lay some paper seed bags on top to dry and absorb the moisture but it does not help much.

Last straw for mine was I was ordering smaller batches as I needed them. I ordered 4000 lbs they brought and dumped 4 TONS = 8000 lbs. Idiot kept piling it on and until I got out of the field and up to him it was too late.  Broke one of the runners and buckled the entire box. I could not move it and had to keep driving back to that farm to refill the planter. I was beyond mad but by the next year I had a different planter and went to liquid and was glad to be rid of the dry.

JMHO ,yours and others mileage may vary and may depend on what fertilizer products you are using at the time I was using a 19-19-19 mix.

Below is a similar sized DMI from a web search.

(DMI.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DMI.JPG (48KB - 275 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)