AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If Only
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Posted 2/27/2015 15:35 (#4418716 - in reply to #4418525)
Subject: RE: If Only

Death comes to us all. Life's but a walking shadow
I think I detect in your post a sense of disappointment that I share. I have been following the discussion concerning rent, net income and corn vs. beans vs. other crops vs. fallow and am myself disappointed at the cynicism displayed here. It seems like the people who complain most about the high rents and backstabbing are the same people who swear up and down that every acre absolutely must & will be planted, corn acres will be 93 million, soybean 88 million and prices will be less than $3 or $8. And furthermore the loudest voices calling for this seem to be coming from the central corn belt while some who argue for moderation farm on the fringe, both east and west.
Last year I idled a few acres, not so many but enough to knock the top off my production. I did it because I didn't feel that $3-$4 corn warranted the all out effort that $6-$7 promised. And besides my rents aren't so high that the land couldn't stand the little rest that a clover cover crop afforded. I was thinking to do a little more this year and raise a few oats to boot.
But after listening to the discussion lately and seeing the chart on Arc-co payments and coming to realise just how unfair the Farm Bill is to some of us on the fringe I am beginning to rethink my position. After seeing the hubris and arrogance on display here I'm beginning to rethink my plans. Maybe I should just go all out and plant every "damn" acre to corn & beans and see just who comes out on top this fall.
Now a rational person might question why I would do that in the face of lower prices. How can you come out on top against the hotshot farmers of the corn belt? Well I'll tell you how I can. For example, I bought a farm last year for $2000 per acre tillable and grew just under 200 bushel corn there. With a little work we can do 60-65 bushel beans on land that rents for well under $100. My corn fertilizer package was $104 per acre. My machinery is paid for.
Now, do you fellows really think that we on the fringe should be the ones to cut production just so you can avoid the consequences of your imprudent behavior. It seems that we may be the low cost producers here and by your rules of business and economics we're the ones who should get to stay in business.
I'm sure that what I've written here will offend some of you. Well, I meant it to. To the others, more understanding, moderate and rational I apologize but I think it needed to be said.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)