AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Should tillage be used to control resistant weeds?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 2/27/2015 10:00 (#4417901 - in reply to #4417565)
Subject: RE: Should tillage be used to control resistant weeds?

southern MN
As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle I suppose.

He has good points.

Up here in the tundra, in my wet county, tillage has been done every fall and every spring since before Minnesota became a state.

We have some few resistant weeds show up, most seem to follow the hog farms, where southern feed sources are being used.

Weed control is often one or 2 passes of spray in crop. Most often still relying upon glyphosate as the main player. (I realize that will change over time.)

I suspect tillage certainly can be a good weed suppressant? But one needs to use the right tools.

He and others responding are right - herbicides control some weeds very well, but allow others to escape. Tillage only kills off some weeds, but lets different ones establish and flourish.

I think perhaps my area has the best of both worlds. A robust tillage plan, with a good herbicide summer plan. It's not cheap of course. But it makes a good crop year in and year out, and keeps the weeds down.

I did learn something, I have a better understanding of what the disks some of you use that aren't angled are good for. Those were puzzling tools to me, they cut through the ground but don't really till anything. Always seemed like a pointless machine. His paper made the lightbulb come on a bit.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)