AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

chicken litter - a couple 'never used it' type questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

wsf cod
Posted 2/27/2015 11:01 (#4418050 - in reply to #4417762)
Subject: RE: chicken litter - a couple 'never used it' type questions

Union Bridge Maryland 20 mi south of Gettysburg Pa
Does it stink.. Yes. There is a lot of chicken manure used around here we use it also. Personally I would not apply in the fall for the N loss. We are all no-till also besides the occasional vertical tillage. That does help to incorporate the manure some and also helps with the smell. If you were to apply in the fall I would spray a N stabilization product over it like more than manure which will also help with the smell.
As far as 4 ton being ideal it all depends on your soil samples. Yes some occasions it will be. Get a good analysis of the manure. You don't want to over apply. We get what we can out of the manure for our needed nutrients and apply the rest needed other ways. Its not a complete fertilizer program obviously but it does help save some dollars where it can. We spread anywhere from 1.5T to 4T it all depends on soil test.
The only issue we have had with it is dry down in corn sometimes. But not always.
Otherwise its a very good source and I would recommend it. It does the soils a lot of good. As far as the neighborhood talk to the people who it may concern. The smell doesn't last long and it builds your soils organic matter and micros making it better for everyone. The manure has to go somewhere. Its a valuable resource.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)