AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

chicken litter - a couple 'never used it' type questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jalopy
Posted 2/27/2015 08:46 (#4417711 - in reply to #4417562)
Subject: RE: chicken litter - a couple 'never used it' type questions

NC IA
Yes it stinks oooober bad, mostly the pile. After a few days of being spread its not so bad. So no I wouldn't put the pile across the road from your neighbor.

Doesn't much matter when you spread it. I always spread it in the fall. If you're no-till I'd do it whenever dry ground conditions allow.

I'm all no-till and spread it on top, no issues. I suppose you may loose some of what little nitrogen is in it.

Ask for an analysis. Consider this- mostly its just expensive phosphate. Very little if any potash (as with most manure) and generally chicken litter has way less nitrogen than cattle or forsure hog pit. Some lime-like benefit because of the egg-shells. But great on the micros and there's something that seems to be magical in it that "boosts" poor or deficient ground.

Its bought and applied here through a co-op. Might be different in your area. Have to have chickens in the area, of course.

Expect to get lots of garbage in it- light bulbs, syringes, all kinds of interesting stuff, I even got a nice spade with a poly handle once (out the middle of the field).

There's a waiting list here- unless you're a regular customer, sometimes it can be hard to get. But that's "here."

Edited by jalopy 2/27/2015 08:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)