AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Disapointed in my Lenovo laptop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 2/27/2015 03:05 (#4417257 - in reply to #4416340)
Subject: RE: Disapointed in my Lenovo laptop

An Ideapad is a consumer grade laptop, not a business model. I would expect that kind of problem with any brand of consumer grade laptop.

I have not heard of any firmware that spies on you.

I have heard of software (Superfish) that used to come pre-packaged on their computers and it had a security flaw that alowed man in the middle attacks. From what Imhave read, Superfish code is in the code of a lot of different software so it's quite possible other laptops have the same problem.

All computers (other than Apple) built by major manufacturers come pre-loaded with lots of bloatware. Bloatware is promotional software and the manufacturers get a kickback for installing it on the computer, "helping" the bottom line.

Some bloatware slows your computer down. Other bloatware could potentially be a security risk.

For me, to avoid problems with bloatware, the very first thing I do with a new computer is to wipe the hard drive and re-install Windows. I make sure I am not using the factory restore disks. Instead I download a fresh Windows iso and burn it to a CD and then install Windows.

These steps increase speed and reduce security concerns. If you approach computer ownership like that, all you're buying a computer for is the hardware. If you want durability in hardware, you need to get a business grade machine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)