AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

forward pricing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

McHusker
Posted 1/31/2015 14:02 (#4352314 - in reply to #4352055)
Subject: RE: forward pricing

Nebraska aka the boondocks
who is to say folks did not? I started selling 15 crop last march and april. Should I have sold more than I did, time will tell. One of the things that occurred and has been discussed on here is what happened the last many years. So you go and forward sell $5 corn, and it looks great, perhaps too great and you sell to much too far out. Then prices go to 6, 7, and 8 plus. What is the problem? The problem is if you rent ground your rent is going up to the new high levels whether you sold $8 corn or not. The price of land and inputs is going up to the lofty levels whether you hit the jackpot or not. Now for folks that don't have anything to worry about money wise, or aren't in the rent game, then this is not a problem. It certainly is a problem if you rent a lot of ground. You simply can not get too carried away. In my opinion you have to keep some powder dry. There is no way I am selling 16 crop at these prices. If we get a decent spring rally and or a weather scare and if things turn dry, then I will start looking. Generally, there is always a decent opportunity to sell a crop, whether it is 18 months before until 9 months after you pick it, it is a very long time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)