AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Measles, who has had it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

super77gal
Posted 1/30/2015 17:13 (#4350387 - in reply to #4349150)
Subject: RE: Measles, who has had it?

Rushmore state
There were two types of measles when I got them in the 50's. My mom called them German or hard measeles and three day measles. German was the feared one and I think I remember having to stay out of sunlight as blindness was a possibility. You could get them only once. The three day were milder but you could get them again. My older brother and I kept re-infecting each other. i remember my mom driving us to a doctor 70 miles away to get some kind of shot. We never got measles again. Questioning her in my later years as to what it was, it sounds like it was Probably a vitamin B shot or something similar to shots that they give you now if you have an auto immune desease. I was about 6 years old at the time. German measles were feared by pregnant women as it caused birth defects. I also remember getting my first polio shot at about the same age. the boosters were in sugar cubes and much easier to tolerate. The actual shot caused a boil and a scab, frightening for a young kid and they itched like crazy but you were told not to pick the scab!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)