AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Update on bull and Johne’s disease question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tj33
Posted 1/28/2015 20:50 (#4345991)
Subject: Update on bull and Johne’s disease question

Well my bull died. I knew it would but Jim nailed the problem. I had never heard of Johne's disease but know a lot now. Bought my bull about 5 years ago. My brother in law bought his brother at same time. I went by his place about 3-4 months ago and noticed he had his bull in pen and it looked kinda puney and thought to myself "my bull was better than his". After finding out about Johne's disease I called and asked about his bull. Same thing happened to him except when he noticed weight loss he carried to sale. Said it still weighed 2000 after weight loss. He didn't know about Johne's disease either. Apparently we bought the disease with the bulls. I broke my number one rule to sell any adult that started downhill for no reason. He got $3000 for his and a got a dead bull, a lot of wasted time, and lots of med expense. "Paid for my learning". He was best bull I have owned so don't feel too bad. Anyway, felt pretty dumb because you guys diagnosed from what little I said here and I had never heard of this before. Vet got back with me and first word out of his mouth was Johne's disease but that was after I called him back. So my question is how many of you are familiar with Johne's disease and how often do you encounter it? I have bought 3 other bulls from same place, what do you think odds are of same problem. Other bulls were bought 4 years later because I liked dead bull so much. Yes, I will have them tested ASAP.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)