AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeder wagons again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

mikado
Posted 1/28/2015 07:11 (#4344086)
Subject: Feeder wagons again

SW WI
Currently I have a small jay-lor vertical tmr. I like it since I feed heavy amounts of dry baled hay in my mix. My son may have a chance to feed some cattle at a farm that is close to 10 miles away and I'm just looking at options to help get him started as economically as possible.

I don't want to drive there each day with my tmr wagon. I was thinking he may need his own equipment. Around here a horizontal auger wagon is pretty cheap. I think I would need the hay ground somehow to make this work. No custom grinders around me. Does pulling hay apart with a grapple work? I always make big squares so at least there are slices. A typical ration would be 900 lbs of hay, 900 lbs of hmc, and 200 lbs of Ddgs, with 50 lbs of mineral.

He would feed Holsteins from 300 lbs to 850 lbs, probably 120 had to get started. This is what my program is so to keep things simple I could help him with that. After he gets going if he wants to make a change he could see if something else fits him better.

Another idea I had was for him to finish some of mine. That would mean a higher grain ration with less hay as a % of the mix. This would also work well with a non vertical tmr wagon. We will have access to hmm and still making big squares of dry hay. Using equipment that I have without buying much more than another skid steer, feeding wagon, and cheap tractor.

Thanks for any ideas on this.

Edited by mikado 1/28/2015 07:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)