AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sump pump questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

AlphaOutlaw
Posted 1/27/2015 14:23 (#4342431)
Subject: Sump pump questions

My wife and I moved into my parents house (not with them, they moved out) about a month ago. This morning the sump in the old basement was kicking on and off. Went down and pulled the pump out and the sliding float had rusted off. There was also one of the bolts that holds the pump together rusted off. Pump only 4ish years old. One of 3 causes...

When the sure and pump were installed 4ish years ago it was poorly plumbed allowing some drain water from the kitchen sink/dishwasher to flow back into the sump. Check valves were installed when we moved in to prevent this. When I pulled the pump out, it was covered in greasy black sludge. I cleaned out the sump hole thoroughly.

To combat the stink, my parents would occasionally dump some bleach in the sump.

The water softener recharge dumps toward the floor drain near the sump and some of the water runs past the drain into the sump hole.

So which issue caused the rusted pump in 4 years? Hopefully have the drain issue resolved. Would the softener water hurt anything? Just don't want to be replacing pumps or parts every few years.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for the help
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)