AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crop Rotations NW/NC OK
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dirtpoor
Posted 1/27/2015 14:32 (#4342447 - in reply to #4340936)
Subject: Okfarmer has some good points

Hazelton, Kansas 6.75 miles N of Crowbar
I will add a few thoughts. I looked up Fairviews annual precip which was 29.1 with Enid @ 34.6. Pan rate around 90" at Fairview falling rapidly as you go East. Fairview gets 3" more rain than we do with the pan rate about the same. You would have a little longer growing season. Usually Medicine Lodge is a little warmer than Enid and we are usually 2 to 3 degrees above Medicine. We raise w wheat, soybean, DC soybean, milo, DC milo, Corn. Have in the past raised sunflower, w canola and DC corn. Your better ground will respond to intensive management better than the poor ground. Most of our sand and red shale spots are sown back to grass with the whole field production better. We can now manage for production vs knee jerk keep the sand from blowing mentality. Learn to be very flexible with your rotations and planting dates. A ball rod is your friend. If you have water grow something with it. (Use it or lose it) Water has a way of disappearing whether you crop it or not. I've had my share of wrecks but more home runs actually. Timing is everything. Had a neighbor harvest better than 120 bpa DC milo this fall following a very short wheat crop. You CANNOT get TOO much residue. The taller the standing stubble the slower the wind is at the soil surface. Standing stubble is much easier to plant into. Make sure your straw/chaff spreaders do a even job. No straw choppers on my combines for a reason. My favorite seed bed is planting soys in the spring into standing milo stubble. Stripper heads work well for us. Your rotation you stated is a good starting place just have the discipline to not plant when you have no water. Canola will break your winter annual weed/disease problems but that is about all that is good about it. Buy your own sprayer. Have fun most of all. Dirt
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)