AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Growing oats questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

wire farms
Posted 1/26/2015 19:28 (#4340406)
Subject: Growing oats questions

Nebraska
Kicking around the idea of growing some oats this year for grain. Haven't grown oats for quite a few years and last time we did we chopped them for silage.

So, thinking about putting some of our poor producing ground to oats this year. What we used to do was disk the ground lightly and then sow the oats with a drill. And then when it was time to combine we would run the oats through a draper head windrower and use a pickup head attachment on the combine. We used this method because we could let the weeds and green stuff dry out in the windrow so it would go through the combine. But it also put us at risk of the windrows getting rained on.

We do not have the draper windrower and pickup head attachment anymore so I would really like to straight cut the oats with the bean head. So my main question is, if the oats get too weedy can I legally go in spray round up on them to kill the weeds? I've heard of this being done up north in wheat country and that they can't harvest the wheat for a set time period after spraying. Anyone ever done the same with oats? Or could a guy use some sort of pre-emerge??

In a better environment the oats probably wouldn't get weedy, but this poor soil where I want to sow them weeds/sandburs will probably pose a problem.

Thank you for reading.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)