AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spreading your own Dry fertilizer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bleedred
Posted 1/26/2015 16:03 (#4339922 - in reply to #4339838)
Subject: RE: Spreading your own Dry fertilizer?

East Central Ia
AGP - 1/26/2015 14:18

I think the first question that needs answered is how do you plan to tender the spreader? Next question is, where will you pull product from and how close is this location? Third, what kind of cost saving can be had by pulling direct? Fourth what kind of spreader, ie does it have potential to swap beds for sprayer body?

The simple fact is, a SP rig will not pay its way buy charging $5 or $6 or $7/acre. By the time you recoup the cost it will be trashed. And to do the job you wanna do you cant go buy some hashed out floater for pennies on the dollar.

Just like with chemicals, the money is made in the savings of product, not the application charge.

If you are big enough, you might be able to work a deal with a retailer to set up an agreement that you buy the rig, you put a warm body in it, it does all your acres first, and then you lease/rent/whatever you think back to them for acres they run thru it. And have them tender the rig and work deals with terminal pricing. Makes you money, gives them cheaper capacity on acres with little capital tie up.

We are already buying whole semi loads and have several different terminals that we can get product from.

We just load the spreader from a conveyor directly out of the hopper. The benefits of this is best realized with straight products, not a blend so a dual bin spreader works best.

The guy we have had doing our work has a single bin floater so to dual VRT he has to two pass or we have to deal with someone else or a fertilizer dealer and forgo 30-40$ per ton in discounts.

I am looking at dry only rigs as I am worried about needing to spray beans post, insects, or fungicide while needing to spread dry product. Depending on the weather or custom work load this could be a problem or could be a non issue.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)