AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spreading your own Dry fertilizer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

flatlick farmer
Posted 1/26/2015 15:59 (#4339913 - in reply to #4339822)
Subject: RE: Spreading your own Dry fertilizer?

West Kentucky
We bought a pull type spreader a few years back and believe it was as good of a decision as buying our own sprayer long ago. You won't necessarily save much money on application, but there is a large potential to buy your product at a discounted price. With the money mentioned, that is only a small part of the benefit. Having the ability to put it on when it needs to go on along with knowing it is being done right is huge. One thing you will learn is the it never "works out just right". I like having the ability to variable rate products by the way that makes sense to me and not so much the guy selling the product. I don't believe you can make poor ground good by simply balancing the fertility as some would lead you to believe.

It absolutely will create more work and you will have to have some type of way to tender product. For us, we were able to buy product discounted enough that we almost paid for a new KBH trailer in one year. I would encourage you not to spread it on frozen ground if you can avoid it. As far as side-dressing N with it, I have never tried it. I have some friends farther south that do it with good success so I would think we could too, however, we knife in 32% at about V3 now with great luck so not looking to change.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)