AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spreading your own Dry fertilizer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bleedred
Posted 1/26/2015 15:11 (#4339822)
Subject: Spreading your own Dry fertilizer?

East Central Ia
I have been stewing for the last two years about getting a high clearance spreader to top dress corn. Its worked well for me in my trials and I really think its a great way for us to manage N on our farm.

But to make it feasible I would need to be able to spread all of my own products and I am afraid that fall is already busy enough and I worry about the additional work load.

If you spread your own acres how/when are you doing it?

Can you spread on frozen ground without snow cover? I have not done this in the past and common sense tells me there will be runoff or at the very least movement of product. Is this accurate or does the fertilizer tend to stay in place?

Winter usually yields extra time to get things done, but if its not done right its not worth doing at all!

It sounds like there will be a boom in my area for a top dress application so custom work could be readily available at least for the next couple years.

I am figuring up all my costs and seeing what it would take to pay on my farm alone and any custom work could be icing on the cake.

My biggest reason for wanting this is to have control over the top dress application timing, and being able to use my own precision ag products to minimize crop damage in season.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)