AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

need a good picture editing program.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/18/2015 07:43 (#4319741 - in reply to #4319469)
Subject: RE: need a good picture editing program.

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I bought a copy of PhotoShop several years ago. It has lots of features and I still have it on an old XP machine. I doubt if it would load on this Win 8 machine but I haven't tried it.

There are newer versions of PhotoShop but I haven't explored them. I probably only learned about 1% of the features of the version I've got and have forgotten much of that. I did a search on Adobe PhotoShop and notice they are on version 13. I'm using version 2. I notice there are many variations most of which are beyond your desires. I notice there are some free versions but I have no experience with any of them.

I have used my version with success in certain situations. I went on a major trip to Australia some years ago. When I got home I go the idea of putting a short note of explanation on each picture. With PhotoShop, I was able to create a text box with some text within it and place this on the modified picture. This text box and text was placed in a portion of the picture so as not to detract or cover up important parts. That meant that on many pictures the text was placed up in the sky but at other times might have been placed lower on the picture.

When the modified pictures were saved, PhotoShop defaults to giving them a name such as copy of. That way once the modification is complete, you still have the untouched original and the newly modified copy. When you save the picture you can give it any name that you like as well and save it in different formats.

Just last week, a friend asked me to help him blend some pictures together taken by 3 different cameras from a motorcycle trip to Alaska last summer. The ultimate goal was to have a slide show with the pictures from the various cameras blended together to make a coherent show. I thought it would be nice to have a Title slide as well as some slides as "dividers" within the show.

There would have been several ways to do this but I used the old PhotoShop to accomplish this. I could have gotten quite fancy but I didn't remember how to do certain things. I ended up with a slide that has a green background with Text on it. The background could have been much fancier. I made a title slide and an ending slide. Within I made slides that indicated the date. I had renamed the original pictures with a consistent naming scheme of 0010, 0020 etc. This allowed me to rename the title slide a 0001 and the divider slides to something such as 0025 which would force them into the correct order.

This really worked quite well except not all the cameras were set at the same time. This meant that some of the slides had the "wrong" date. I'm thinking my friend may come over again and we can "move" the offending slides around by giving them yet another new name.

As far as some of the features you mention red eye remover and such, my old digital camera has features on it to do some of those things right on the camera. It appears that PhotoShop may have an App for a SmartPhone to add even more editing features right on the phone.

It might be easier to do it on a computer.

Edited by tedbear 1/18/2015 07:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)