AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

radiant tube heater
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

sesk
Posted 1/16/2015 20:32 (#4317075)
Subject: radiant tube heater

Installed a 100,000 btu reverberay and don't seem to be getting the heat I was expecting from it. It's mounted 18 ft off the floor in a 60x80 and we can barely feel the heat radiating from it. I was under the impression these things almost glowed with heat and was expecting to feel the heat radiating on my face and surrounding me. Am I wrong. The temp gun says about 640 degrees 1 foot from the hottest part of the tube. All the pressures are correct, we've had the gauge on it with it running, and increasing the pressures didn't help.

The guy that sold the heaters to me says to get the other one fired up and let it run for a couple hours to get the building heated up. But I thought just the one heater should be able to warm the shop today. It was 35 and sunny. I'm reluctant to install the other heater if this is all the better they work.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bleedred
Posted 1/16/2015 20:59 (#4317167 - in reply to #4317075)
Subject: RE: radiant tube heater

East Central Ia
How long did you run it? After a little while could you still not feel the heat?

Neighbors have an old Morton building, probably the same size as yours but probably only 14' tall. It's got two radiant tube heaters and you can feel the heat if I remember correctly. Helped with a project in there a few years ago.

I do remember you could really tell when they were on it was warm after the shut off it felt chilled.

I don't know what btu they were but one 100k I would think would heat hours easily at those temps.

We have a 72x96x20 spray foamed and heated it easily with a single torpedo heater before the floor heat was up and running.

I would agree at this point setup the second one and then see. I bet once things are warmed up it will feel much warmer.

Edited by bleedred 1/16/2015 21:00
sesk
Posted 1/16/2015 21:08 (#4317190 - in reply to #4317167)

It ran for over 4 hours straight and it definitely warmed up in there, it just wasn't the radiant feeling I hear so many talk about. It's spray foamed and r50 in ceiling so it's not drafty either.
Flash515
Posted 1/16/2015 21:12 (#4317203 - in reply to #4317075)

NC IA
A building that size would most likely take 2 heaters and if you are going to use one I bet you would need a 200000 btu, at least in IA
kwvnhfr1
Posted 1/16/2015 21:20 (#4317221 - in reply to #4317075)

Blue Grass (Eastern IA)
I have a 150k in a 60x72x18. It feels like standing under the sun. It will warm it up 10 degrees in 30 minutes. Did you install the baffles in the first pipe after the burner?
wind tower
Posted 1/16/2015 21:45 (#4317291 - in reply to #4317075)

N.D

the first ten feet of the tube will be way hotter then it drops off considerably. there fore all your heat is not going out the chimney. if you turn it on only when you go in the shop your floor won't warm up. I set my t-stat at 45-47 at night and when working in there 55. my tube is down one side only 50 x64x18. 3" sprayed on walls and attic.

sesk
Posted 1/16/2015 22:03 (#4317339 - in reply to #4317221)

That's what I have heard: standing under the sun. This is like standing in the shade on a warm day. It feels warm but it's not radiant.

The reverberay manual has the baffles on the last 2 tubes towards the exhaust.
boog
Posted 1/16/2015 22:31 (#4317399 - in reply to #4317203)

I know a farmer that has two 150,000 btu radiant heaters in a 90 x160 x 18 building & says he can work in shirtsleeves in the middle of winter. I'm running a 100,000 BTU in a 52x50x15' shop, Shop isn't that well insulated & has several air leaks around the sliding door &I can get temps up to 70º when it's 0 outside but anything over 60 is too hot to work comfortably. Maybe IA winters are colder than here in IN.

Edited by boog 1/16/2015 22:35
boog
Posted 1/16/2015 22:45 (#4317429 - in reply to #4317075)

I'd turn the heater on & let it run for a few days before making any decisions. Your concrete is cold & needs to absorb the heat, then it will reflect back up. Radiant heat warms objects not air, I turn my tube heater down to 50* when I'm not in it, and 60* when working in the shop. Doesn't take long to get to 60*. Is your heater a "downdraft", burner on one end & fan on opposite end & pulls the heat thru the tube unlike an updraft which blows the heat rom the burner down the down & is less effective. Also, did you vent the heater outside? Mine is not vented and there's quite a bit of heat that comes out the exhaust end. Company said my building had enough sq ft so didn't need to vent the exhaust. I was skeptical so the first winter I put an elbow on the tube & directed the exhaust air towards a CO2 detector, Detector never went off so I angled the exhaust back towards the middle of the shop. It's been that way for 13 yrs & haven't ever had a CO2 detector go off.

FWIW, we're having two 175,000 BTU downdraft tube heaters put in a 80 x 120 x18' building.
twraska
Posted 1/16/2015 23:35 (#4317478 - in reply to #4317075)

Wallis, TX

My Reverberay units are 100K, when I put them up they shorted me the 'down caps' on the end.  I could really tell the difference when they got installed.  The tubes do not glow red.

As to feeling warm under them I'd say not as much as direct sun but after you sit a while you feel the heat.  I know the barn cats when sleeping under the heater, will feel almost hot to the touch.  They do not make 'instant' heat, they take time to heat the slab & objects in the shop, then you start to get the air warmed from the heat in the slab etc.

Mike SE IL
Posted 1/17/2015 02:21 (#4317544 - in reply to #4317075)

West Union, Illinois
I've never worked under radiant tubes heaters but have helped install and work on them. The two biggest complaints I have heard were things didn't get warm and things got on hot.
They don't heat the air, they heat objects. So if you expect to walk in and feel warm it won't happen until things get warm and start warming the air. I know, that is hard to explain to Grandma. Hot is hot and cold is not. But tubes heat the air by heating objects. If the objects are not warm the air isn't warm. Also if you are under something like changing oil, you are not getting direct heat from the tube. If you are in the shadow of the tube you may be cold.
The other problem is with tall objects like combines and trucks. They are closer to the heater and get hot faster. It's been a real problem with combines.
Oh, one other problem we had required moving the heater. It was in the way if you were making a 3 point shot. HAD to move the tube.
Russ In Idaho
Posted 1/17/2015 05:59 (#4317604 - in reply to #4317075)

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
In my opinion your heater is a little on the small side for your shop. I have a 40x60x18 and a 100,000 BTU tube heater. I wanted a 150,000 BTU, thought I was getting that. When contractor came with it I was told I couldn't get a 150,000 one. Well the supplier screwed up, yes I could have gotten one. So we put it up, it works fine for my shop, it is none to hot in there. Just about right if you are working in there. About 40% of shop around the heater is just fine, the other 60% to the side and end of shop is cooler. We had a meeting in the shop the other day and set tables up under it, well I felt about right maybe just a little cool. But the guy sitting next to me complained about burning his head. I love not having to listen to a blower run all the time, it is quiet. I think a person needs to wire a timer into the heat system or put a programmable thermostat so the heater kicks on maybe 2-3 hours before you come into work. What I like to do is park my truck in shop at night, as I leave in the morning is turn heater on, go to coffee, do chores, come back to warmed up shop. Then turn off at night when I park truck back in at night. Some days I don't even turn heat on to work. I can keep it about 50-55 temp. fine for me to work in when heater is on.

After running mine I would say you need the other tube as well. I was told a person should clean dust off tube and shield yearly to help in performance of the heater. I've never cleaned mine(3 years), I was wondering what others thoughts are on that?

Edited by Russ In Idaho 1/17/2015 06:00
olf20
Posted 1/17/2015 07:01 (#4317669 - in reply to #4317604)

NW ILLINOIS
We had a plugged tube last year on my neighbors. After looking at everything
and getting it going, he said something about the unit needing a two stage
thermostat?? I really did not dig into as we found the problem.
Maybe someone who know details about this will chime in.
olf20 / Bob
iseedit
Posted 1/17/2015 07:14 (#4317693 - in reply to #4317429)
Subject: RE: Is this the first time Runing it ?

central - east central Minnesota -

boog - 1/16/2015 22:45 I'd turn the heater on & let it run for a few days before making any decisions. Your concrete is cold & needs to absorb the heat, then it will reflect back up. Radiant heat warms objects not air, I turn my tube heater down to 50* when I'm not in it, and 60* when working in the shop. Doesn't take long to get to 60*. Is your heater a "downdraft", burner on one end & fan on opposite end & pulls the heat thru the tube unlike an updraft which blows the heat rom the burner down the down & is less effective. Also, did you vent the heater outside? Mine is not vented and there's quite a bit of heat that comes out the exhaust end. Company said my building had enough sq ft so didn't need to vent the exhaust. I was skeptical so the first winter I put an elbow on the tube & directed the exhaust air towards a CO2 detector, Detector never went off so I angled the exhaust back towards the middle of the shop. It's been that way for 13 yrs & haven't ever had a CO2 detector go off. FWIW, we're having two 175,000 BTU downdraft tube heaters put in a 80 x 120 x18' building.

Agree with Boog - if this is the first time firing it up and running it - it's going to take a few days for the building to get acclimated to the heat. It will not feel warm, unless you get a considerable bigger unit. You are right on the edge of trying to get heat enough from that one 100k unit, if it's the first time, firing it up - you are heating up the building first . . . ..... it will not feel warm, until other objects are tempered and stop absorbing the heat.

Turn it on and leave it on for a few day and see what it works like after the few days . . . . .. .

Edited by iseedit 1/17/2015 08:00
Offroadnt
Posted 1/17/2015 08:04 (#4317793 - in reply to #4317075)

Southern Alberta Canada
I installed a 300,000btu suction unit with two burners into our 80x80 shop last year. You don't feel the heat off it either. I set the shop at around 5C and it's nice in there. Biggest problem is management sometimes turns the heat down in the evening and then it takes four hours to warm up again the next day.
JDpuller
Posted 1/17/2015 08:22 (#4317835 - in reply to #4317075)

WC Iowa
Do you have the thermostat hooked up right? I've got 3 of them in my shop, and they are a dual stage. When they run on the low side, the shop stays warm, but it's hard to feel the warmth under it. When it runs on the high side, it's like standing in the sun, you can feel the hear radiate down. IIRR there has to be a 3 degree difference for it to kick the high side on. All 3 lights on the back are lit when it's running on high.

sesk
Posted 1/17/2015 09:21 (#4317950 - in reply to #4317835)

It's a dual stage and it's one that pushes the heat, not the downdraft. All three lights are on and both stages of the burner work so the thermostat is correct. I guess I'll hook up the other one and get it going and see what that does. I was thinking I'd be more impressed with the instant warmth.
denny-o
Posted 1/17/2015 09:54 (#4318012 - in reply to #4317950)

Michigan - Saginaw County
My 40x40x14 shop has a single wimpy burner with a lousy 30 foot of tube, across the center.
It was 12 below here yesterday and the thermometer on the wall showed 50 degrees - exactly what the thermostat is set at 24/7.
Radiant tube heat like radiant floor heat is not good for variable temperature control. Set it where you want it and leave it (even when you leave)
When the burner is on we can count on the cats scratching at the door to be let in. I have seen them outside sitting in the sun on a cold day and when the burner fan comes on they head for the door scratching to get in. Once in they are sprawled directly under the tube on anything handy - sawhorse, chair, hood of a truck. As one poster noted, when you give them a pet as you walk by their fur is shimmering warm.
joeblow
Posted 1/17/2015 10:38 (#4318101 - in reply to #4318012)

e c iowa
Hope you have something under the concrete reflecting that heat back or all your doing is sending that heat into the ground under the slab,do not ask how I know this!
Schuerman Farms
Posted 1/17/2015 11:05 (#4318143 - in reply to #4317075)

WC MN & Valley of the Sun, AZ
Going on six years now with a 45,000 radiant tube in my 26x40' toy garage w/ 11' ceiling and I can feel the sunshine like warmth standing under it but not so much 18' away like your ceiling.

Big improvement this year for natural gas savings was installing a programmable thermostat. It's set to drop to 45° at night, raise it to 50° in the morning and then drop back down in late afternoon. On weekends, it automatically warms up to 60° by 9 AM and keeps it there during the day and at night to drop back to 45° but the garage doesn't cool down that far at night so the heater doesn't even run.

ECIAfarmer
Posted 1/17/2015 11:30 (#4318179 - in reply to #4317604)

East Central Ia, S. Waterloo
Neighbor had a shop with radiant heat. After a few years during a slow time they did a cleaning, he said he couldn't believe the improvement in performance. It became a yearly maintenance thing for them.
ronm
Posted 1/17/2015 12:21 (#4318258 - in reply to #4317429)

Fruita CO
Boog, do you have any problem with water vapor from the unvented heaters? One of my customers put 2 heaters in an 80x100, unvented & after a few days there was water running down the vertical iron...had to vent them outside to get rid of the vapor. Just asking, I haven't put mine up yet.
a4t-1600
Posted 1/17/2015 15:10 (#4318513 - in reply to #4318143)

Dearfield Co.
I have 3 tube heaters about 40 ft long in each of my truck bays--------I also splurged this year and hung a natural gas forced air heater from the roof thats soul purpose is to warm the air once a day if the doors stay shut. You feel cold when you first walk in of a morning without it and then after you get to going you can feel the infrared until the night cold starts then the air heater fires up some again until we leave the shop. It stinks to be under a truck that the sheet metal is to hot to touch but under neath you can see your breath and the air heater takes that away. I think the gas usage was smaller than I anticipated for this and actually think its the best shop improvement I have done in years
drainpro
Posted 1/18/2015 10:12 (#4320080 - in reply to #4317075)

We also have a 60x80 shop and all the radiant tube companies we talked to recomended two 125000 or two 150000 btu burners I would guess your a little undersized with just o e 100000 unit
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)