AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best programs for book work on computers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 1/17/2015 02:54 (#4317547 - in reply to #4315717)
Subject: RE: Best programs for book work on computers?

West Union, Illinois

The best choice is going to depend on what you want and what you are willing to put into it. Your first decision is cash or accrual? For most of us that means Quicken or QuickBooks. Or Peach Tree or any of several other bookkeeping programs ... Sorry my age is showing ... Apps.

FarmWorks used to be the top of the line in most folks opinion but I don't see as much talk about it since Trimble bought them. It would do anything you wanted .... but it took time to learn how to put the data in their way. We tried and tried to use it but either it didn't fit how we do things or we couldn't fit how we do things to it.

Personally I use quicken as a check register which also allows me to categorize my income and expenses. There are some tricks and tweaks I'm still learning after 15+ years of using it. I have my repairs broken down to each piece of equipment. That gets to be a pain when I get a statement from Deere or Case finance or paying a credit card statement. I have to split them up, but quicken has a function for that.

Everything else is built on spreadsheets I made myself. I developed a simple grain ticket form that I use for every field. Sometimes it has to wait until we empty a grain bin in January or later to get finished, but I can pull up a history for just about every field for several years. Same for my financial statement. After building one to somewhat match the one the bank prefers I just pull up last year's and change prices and values, add and remove equipment, and can generate one a lot easier to read than my scribbles pretty easily.

There are several other systems. I mentioned FarmWorks. PCMars is popular and I'm others will give some suggestions. You might ask your tax guy or gal,what they prefer. Regardless of what you use it is going to take some pre-planning on your part and startup will be a bear until you get comfortable with it. And when it says you ought to do this, do it. For instance I never put in vendor addresses. Now that I'm printing checks I sure wish I had.

If I can help just give me a holler

Edited by Mike SE IL 1/20/2015 07:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)