AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

speaking of prolapse and culls
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Phil A.
Posted 12/22/2014 06:17 (#4256691 - in reply to #4255920)
Subject: Experience with both for what it is worth.

Western Ohio
I think everyone with cows has had both vag and uterine prolapses. Both are a problem I will weigh in with my oppinions. A vag prolapse will NEVER get better. If I catch a cow starting to play peak-a-boo 3-4 weeks before calving she goes on my short list to be culled. I will almost garurantee she will be worse the following year. I agree it seems it is worse after they eat had and are less than a month from calving. If I know a cow is playing peak-a-boo I make her get up EVERY time I am checking close up cows. I want to see that thing go back in with in 1-2 minutes or by time I am done check cows. How do I know it gets worse? Well we did that science experiment several times. I got a 13 yr old cow right now who I gave a second chance to his fall as she is a darn good commercial cow and has never had a heifer calf. I dogged the bullet but she will not be here in the fall of 16 as I got my heifer and she was vaging out badly.

Uterine--I think this is tremendously genetic. I heavily blame the bull on this (I think most cows who uterine end up getting the cull pen). Round about 2000/2001/2002 we were using a Charolais bull that we were keeping lots of heifers out of. By 2007-2008 I was having a terrible rash of prolapses. I was not smart to iron it out quickly enough but when it was all said and done we ended up culling or losing every heifer out of that bull (15-20) animals buy time they were 5-7 yrs old. When it was all said and done we had put many prolapses back in. During that time we did get to experience the torn artery and all that fun as well.

So Puff and PawPaw beware all vag and uterine prolapses are send packing around here. Most of time these cows will be bred when they are done having a calf and go to town so there is a risk for guy buying out of the kill pen as the post earlier this week showed.

Phil A.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)