AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rookie Planter for Sunflowers and Grazing Corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

kirschenman
Posted 12/20/2014 13:40 (#4253077)
Subject: Rookie Planter for Sunflowers and Grazing Corn

Southeastern Alberta
Sunflowers were a success this past year with my disc drill, but most of the reading I have done suggests that a planter is the best way to get them in the ground. I am just interested in Black Oils but still seems to be some benefit to them.

Also, everything I read seems to suggest that wide rows on grazing corn means less waste from trampling, and extra tons to boot.

So I am looking at planters now. Looks like the way to go is to bring one out of the US. Looking like probably about 500 to 800 acres per year maximum would be what I would look at planting, all but probably 160ac being sunflowers. So I have some questions:

What size makes sense for those acres? Thinking a 12R30? I have a Case 4490 4WD that could run it while running the drill with the other tractor.

What brand should I look at? Seems Deeres are everywhere. We have a neighbor with 7200s so that knowledge base would be an asset as well.

What kind of meters do I need? I assume vacuum makes the most sense for corn and sunflowers both.

It will be no till, so thinking if I can find a machine with row cleaners, Keetons and spiked closers I am way ahead of having to buy that all later and put it on.

Some sort of separate placed fertilizer would probably be an asset as well since I don't want to have multiple field operations. Is dry or liquid better? I use all dry when seeding, but also have some liquid tanks. Are single or double disc openers better?

Thanks to everyone.

Anyone have something like I need for sale or know of one?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)