AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Proper way to turn off acetylene torch
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ironbender
Posted 12/20/2014 11:38 (#4252870 - in reply to #4252830)
Subject: RE: Proper way to turn off acetylene torch

northwest Iowa
Set acetylene regulator to 3-5 psi, oxygen to 20-25, turn oxygen valve on the handle wide open. Turn on acetylene valve a little and light the torch. Adjust the flame so it still smokes a little and doesn't pull away from the tip. Open oxygen valve on the cutting head so that the little blue flames coming out of the tip holes don't have any feathering. push the cutting lever down and readjust the flame the same way. A torch should be pretty quiet when set properly. If it squeals or howls when you push the cutting lever your pressure is too high or your tip is dirty. Use a chart to get the proper pressure settings for the thickness you're cutting. A lot of guys set the pressure too high. Also use the right size tip, although there is a pretty big size range on tips. An average size tip will usually cut up to 1 1/2". I always turn off the acetylene valve first. I know it's not the way the book says but I've had the acetylene valve leak a little a couple times and keep burning inside the head, burning the O rings. If you turn it off first the oxygen blows the flame out. I don't know if this is NAT approved but it's the way I've been doing it almost every day for 40 years. Phil
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)