AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Non GMO corn and beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Rockpile
Posted 12/17/2014 23:03 (#4247866)
Subject: Non GMO corn and beans

Northwest Ohio
How many are selling non GMO corn and beans at a premium for use in livestock feed ? And what soy crushers are looking for non GMO beans for meal and/or oil ? Also, do you know of any major feedlots that have gone the non GMO route and where does this beef wind up in the supply chain ? I think Whole Foods has a non gmo program for poultry. Maybe we should be trying to satisfy some of the untapped potential for non traited feed in the food chain, instead of overproducing a product that is viewed by many domestic consumers and some countries as being potentially unhealthy. Our farm is still drinking the Monsanto koolaid, but I wonder if there isn't a better way. We're paying way too much for the right to grow 20 percent better corn that makes less money than with lower yields 10 years ago. And each extra bushel needs the extra expense of more N, P, K plus drying, hauling, etc. I, for one, would be wiling to pay more for a steak fed on the conventional corn we grew a few years back. In summary, there appears to be a consumer movement for either actual or perceived "higher quality" food. However, it doesn't seem that most of us (as corn and soybean producers) are in a position to capitalize on this movement. Looking for good info, plus am expecting some flaming. Thanks !! Give this your best shot.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)