AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cover nutrient tie up
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tntfarm
Posted 12/17/2014 10:25 (#4246438 - in reply to #4245948)
Subject: RE: cover nutrient tie up

SE IL and SW IN
You have a good handle on the question Matt. Mhagny has the obvious but universally true answer.

The question that I have tried to raise and find answers for is this:

I know that I have a finite number of crops to get my farm where I want it before I retire or cannot physically continue to operate it.

It has taken > 20 years of continuous no-till with 15 years of continuous corn with cover crops to achieve my best results to date, and I know that we can improve on these results. I do not have the luxury of time on all my fields that are not this far along in the program.

There is a finite amount of nutrients available for a cover crop to immobilize and recycle and adding nutrients for the sole purpose of growing the residue is not cost effective. Growing N with legumes and translocating mineralized nutrients is possible and desirable, but takes time.

In years where we have the luxury of planting a somewhat balanced mix of covers terminated in a timely manner we have little/no problems with nutrient deficiency, however in years where the cover is more likely a grass monoculture because everything else died we have issues.

So, how do I maximize my sequestered and immobilized organic component without reducing the yield of the cash crop in the most cost and time efficient manner? (KNOWING FULL WELL THAT I WILL PUSH THIS STRATEGY BEYOND THE BRINK OF EFFICIENCY)

Edited by tntfarm 12/17/2014 10:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)