AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is it worth swapping from SF2 to RTK?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Charloz24
Posted 12/17/2014 07:30 (#4246001 - in reply to #4245497)
Subject: RE: Is it worth swapping from SF2 to RTK?

near Mtl, QC
Let me explain why I went from SF1 to RTK.

My first year with SF1 on an autotrac 7730 for planting was doing very well, still used the marker and reajusted my line when it was not lining the marker line ( apprx every 15 mins or so) This was going really well for me that go easy understand of to quicky use the display. My father on the other side (67 year old) I able to use the monitor too, but creating AB line, changing field every time and correcting the line was a little too much for him and we were loosing time that way.

So the next year, (corn yield was great and price too so it helped) I went to rtk with my own base. What I did was preparing all my field ready before planting with AB line and boundary, so now a LOT more easier for my father to use the guidance, and no more marker of course. And then when we sidedress N the same line is used, in the same way.

Next year after, because I already have the rtk system, then going to the field leveling route was not too costly, so more use for my system.

Last year, I equiped my tractor used for spraying with an atu200 and with the euipment I already got, now I'm also able to spray on RTK and always going on the same tracks (sprayer is 90', planter is 30')

Next project for next year is VRT products application.

So in my situation, my GPS are now the thing that is the most used troughout the season, so no regret at all.

Of course I didn't talk about field work (cultivator, disking) I doing it too, but don't really need rtk for that. In that case, I have 2 tractor that can work autotrac on SF1. (in the fall, I use the base station antenna as a regular sf1 antenna for a second tractor.)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)