AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

N.W. covercrop experiment thread below
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ehoff
Posted 12/16/2014 07:53 (#4243598)
Subject: N.W. covercrop experiment thread below

Central Missouri
The thread got me thinking. Could the problem be an N tie-up issue and not enough plant available N from emergence through the life of the plant in the cc strip?

So for you agronomists out there ...... what minimum soil N level is adequate at planting ahead of corn? 20ppm? 30ppm?

I'm asking this as I have cereal rye planted not yet emerged after dc soybeans going to corn. I do have the advantage of poultry litter. In the early years when my father started no-til corn he had problems with what was considered to be allelopathy. Could it have been not enough plant available N and S early.

Starting off I like my cc's thin so as to help prevent a disaster. Disasters dissuade producers from doing a practice again. Here is a pic of corn planted into fall seeded spring emerged cereal rye from this spring. The cereal rye was planted around Nov 20 at 20# per acre. 20# per acre should yield a stand of roughly 6 plants per square foot. The stand wasn't that good due to late seeding and the cold winter. I might add that this spring in our area was extremely forgiving. Most springs on my soils aren't like this year. We havn't lost our oxygen in our soil for 3 years running now. That is very unusual. When we do for an extended period of time bad things happen in a big way.

First pic is what was seeded into. 2nd pic is the row unit in action. (The row unit looks nose down but it wasn't. Just the angle of the ipad when I took the pic.) 3rd picture is the stand. Corn in our area after emergence looked S deficient this year. It didn't seem to impact yield.

(164-400.jpg)

(170-400.jpg)

(025-400.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 164-400.jpg (16KB - 852 downloads)
Attachments 170-400.jpg (38KB - 831 downloads)
Attachments 025-400.jpg (27KB - 834 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)