AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Will it work? Dual anchor setup for the 6x6.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 12/11/2014 21:29 (#4234724)
Subject: Will it work? Dual anchor setup for the 6x6.

I'm putting dual 1600s on the back axles of the 6x6 with tires. So I come up with this system to anchor them. Think it will work?

I shaved 2 corners of a right and a left outer budd nut so it will fit inside a square tube.

I had to use 1/4" wall tube to get the fit I wanted. I want it to be able to self align inside the tube, but not bind up.

To keep the nuts from falling into the tube, I drilled a 1/8" hole and put a short spring pin in just enough to hold the nut, but not interfere with the thimble.

I had some washers cut out at the local machine shop. Then put a thimble thru the washer and thread a nut on to hold the washer in the right spot for welding. One right and one left on each anchor tube.

Assembled with the nut between the washer and spring pin. Nuts can self align this way.

Had some bands rolled from 1/4" so it can not collapse when cinched down between the two wheels.

I figure I can put 5 long thimbles on the axle studs along with the 5 regular singled nuts and then use 5 long thimbles of the opposite threads thru 5 of the outside wheel's lug holes.

So the wheels are not perfectly lined up. I just laid the top one on at random to get an exact length of the anchor tube. But this is how it should look.....I hope. I'm trying to come up with a way to keep the outer thimbles from rotating when tightening. I can get fine thread bolts for the right hand threads, but not the left hand threads. At least not easy enough to warrant the cost. So I wonder if welding a small diameter rod formed in a circle and tacked to the thimbles would work? That way there is still enough movement of the thimbles to keep them in line with the nut, but keep them from rotating in the wheel hole?

So,..what am I not seeing?

Thanks for looking.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)