AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Accounting Software
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Adrian
Posted 12/17/2014 04:00 (#4245818 - in reply to #4239097)
Subject: RE: Accounting Software

South Georgia
dko_scOH - 12/14/2014 08:43

Don, I will defer to your greater knowledge of QB, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Quick Books has only one Class list. Consequently, if you want to use class to delineate by enterprise, year, and farm you are going to have a complicated class structure.

What I want is one class type for year -- and the ability to rename it as Year. Then, I would like to be able to add another class type and name it Enterprise. This new list would be populated with Corn, Soybeans, etc.

So far, you could do this with classes and sub-classes. But I also want to track by farm and field. With eleven farms and nearly eighty fields, the class structure required in QB will be ridiculous -- because there will be a single four-level class. This really defeats the purpose of classes -- namely, the ability to filter things easily in some relevant way. Far better, I think, to have different class types.

We are already, in 2014, incurring expenses for the 2015 crop, part of which will be sold in 2016...so this sort of discussion is timely. If someone can show me how to hack QB, I would appreciate it.

Amen on the complicated class structure! While I'm not trying to track things by field (though I would eventually like to track irrigated vs. dryland, and not just average the two), I finally have more or less figured out a class list structure to track my different crop enterprises. It's very complicated, especially since many of my inputs are used for several different enterprises.

I might have had an easier time getting started with Quickbooks if I had some working knowledge of accounting in the first place, but learning a piece of software that I knew nothing about PLUS learning how to work around its shortcomings for my purposes has been a long, difficult process.

Adrian
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)