AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

QuickBooks Farm Accounting Cookbook ...questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Flagship
Posted 12/9/2014 15:05 (#4229574)
Subject: QuickBooks Farm Accounting Cookbook ...questions

I'm hoping to get some feedback from QuickBooks users on NewAgTalk...

Some of you have a copy of The QuickBooks Farm Accounting Cookbook and will recognize my name as the author. If you have a copy you know that it is getting pretty old by technical book standards. We still sell quite a few of them every year and it is still well received, but it really, really, really needs updating.

Well, I have finally decided to do just that. This winter we are beginning work on one or more updates to the Cookbook. It will not be updated all at once, but in chunks. The question is, which "chunks" are most important to do first? Which QuickBooks topics do you most need information on?

If you have an opinion, I would appreciate feedback on any of these questions....

Which QuickBooks topics would you most like to see addressed by an update?
Which topics are most important for a new QuickBooks user?

...or if you are new to QuickBooks, what do you most want to know about? And how interested are you in learning about QuickBooks Online (the cloud-based version) and cloud based add-ons, versus more detail about the desktop editions of QuickBooks? Are you using online banking (downloading bank or credit card transactions), or would you if you had a better guide for doing it?

Would you be comfortable with an e-book, or to you prefer a print copy?

We are considering a nifty e-book technology that will let purchasers to install to several devices (computer, laptop, tablet, smartphone) and will also allow printing out the e-book if desired--which would partly make up for not buying a print copy of the book. (Our old e-book reader only be installed on a Windows computer--no smartphone or tablet--and didn't allow printing. So the new reader would be a big improvement.)

E-books reduce costs all around, because they avoid all shipping costs--from the printing company to our inventory, then from our inventory to you in the mail. But does offering only an e-book sound right to you?

What we're planning so far, for the first "chunk"...

* There will be a significant discussion about remote access for your QuickBooks records--choosing between QuickBooks Online versus a QuickBooks desktop edition + some kind of remote access technology (there are several). There are a lot of benefits for remote access to accounting records, but quite a few wrinkles and costs too.

* We hope to deal with practices and pitfalls involved in tracking transaction data for (and automatically printing reports for) a number of government reporting requirements--things like Use Tax, Sales Tax, and form 1099-MISC, plus non-QuickBooks services that may do the job cheaper or more easily, depending on your volume of transactions. (With the growth in direct-to-consumer sales, you might be surprised at how many farm businesses have to file Sales Tax returns.)

*  Options for "going paperless" (or mostly paperless) with QuickBooks. How and why it can be a good idea or a bad idea. When is it a good fit for how you choose to track expenses receipts? What techniques are workable in a typical farm business situation?

...and some others that will be updates to existing topics in the original Cookbook.

I realize I'm asking a lot, but I'd appreciate any opinions you might have.

Mark Wilsdorf
Flagship Technologies, Inc.
Author, The QuickBooks Farm Accounting Cookbook™

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)