AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Controlling Deer's Tongue Grass in Hay Fields
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Red Paint
Posted 11/26/2014 20:48 (#4203717)
Subject: Controlling Deer's Tongue Grass in Hay Fields

SW “Ohia”
Hey all!

Thought I would see if anyone else has experience with controlling Deer's Tongue Grass pressure in hay fields.

Fellow I bale hay with began encountering this weed a few years ago. State University scientist said it was originally found in Eastern Ohio, but has been moving westward over the last couple decades. Seems to be spreading very aggressively; it expands using creeping rhizomes just like nutsedge, another fun invasive we have fought in our potato patches.

It seems to like his wetter hay fields, especially those that receive little tillage attention and carry a low soil pH. This make sense, as it is commonly used in wetland remediation from what I have been able to research. He has considered liming these areas, but most of the fields are small woodland meadows (less than 5 acres) and not on any particular rental agreement, just baled in small squares once a year. We would like to undertake a comprehensive control method for this weed, rather than just throw different techniques at it.

Some of his larger, owned fields are in close proximity to these affected areas, so we are worried it may move spread within the next few growing seasons. This year grew a bumper crop of Deer's Tongue, so he really wants to get in gear for control. I am terrified to think what it could do in good alfalfa or clover.

Thanks all!
Here is the OSU Weed Guide page for Deer's Tongue Grass: http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weedguide/singlerecord.asp?id=60

(0060dtgrasshabit.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0060dtgrasshabit.jpg (57KB - 297 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)