AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for anyone is the seedcorn industry
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Wheat77
Posted 11/26/2014 18:01 (#4203278 - in reply to #4202820)
Subject: RE: Question for anyone is the seedcorn industry

Tnb72 - 11/26/2014 13:17

We sell corn for two different companies. What you describe is how things generally work, at least with one of the "big companies". This surely isn't a perfect way to do it, however when you want to sell hybrids east to west and north to south all through corn growing areas you can't focus on every single hybrid in the book. I don't agree with this but it is how big business companies work. It is also why on our farm we plant 12-15 hybrids every year in differing environments to try and help our customers pick what fits their soil type best. I will also say that we have worked the last few years with some "very regional" companies that can put 15-20 bushel on the big guys if you can place them right. So I will say this in closing, the DSMs and seed agronomists we work with aren't trying to hide anything but their hands are tied to what is largely available. That is why we plant so many hybrids to give customers a better look. I also hate ordering so early but until everyone refuses that will be driven by the big companies. This is America so we can choose to work with whomever we choose. Happy Thanksgiving

I agree with this post. Some companies are regional, and some sell all across the nation. For example, a
corn hybrid may be needed in Nebraska, in more than one environment, irrigated vs. dryland, race horse
vs. drought stress. Also, a hybrid in Wisconsin may not have any issue with stalk strength, but don't place it
in another area as it could have a brittle snap ranking not suited for the plains. Add disease issues, root
problems, etc. Seed companies decisions are made well in advance, to allow for making enough parent seed, for
seed production, etc. It is a complicated process.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)