AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for anyone is the seedcorn industry
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

johnny skeptical
Posted 11/26/2014 13:27 (#4202847 - in reply to #4202689)
Subject: RE: Question for anyone is the seedcorn industry

n.c.iowa

ioway, that is the perception I get, well it's a little more than perception, but you get  the idea.       

if you think about how the industry works and the timelines involved, it's relatively easy to figure out.     first is the actual seed development, then there is a year or so of trials, then parent seed production, then production, especially with hybrids to see if that particular hybrid will be productive enough in seed production,  all the while there are test plots going on that are proving or disproving the superiority that particular seed.     

so the rsm and dsm get together and have to figure out what mix of seed the farmers gonna plant.   back in the old days of non traited corn it was pretty easy, so many short season, so many long season, so many mid season, with a few bags of ultra early, and late, for the guys that want to try something different.

now throw in a few traits, farmers that maybe don't care so much about drydown, just give me max yield.     farmers that rate harvestability pretty high, might give up a couple bushels just so they don't have to listen to the combine growl.   any way I hope you get my point.

so basically they have to get together and work up two year, three year, and five year plans.   well you can see how one misstep can have serious consequences.   I know for sure that one company I buy seed from severely misjudged there rr/ cornborer sales prognostications, and it's probably gonna have dire consequences for their dealers. unless they step up to the plate.

so basically the name of the game is sell them what we got, or what you told us 2 years ago that you needed us to produce.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)