AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for anyone is the seedcorn industry
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ioway
Posted 11/26/2014 12:12 (#4202689)
Subject: Question for anyone is the seedcorn industry

Central Iowa
This is a question for ALL seed companies, although in my particular case I am referring to one of the big 2 companies. In a discussion with a seed salesman recently I asked him how he arrives at the product line that he believes best fits our area? The answer was more or less that the district manager has to source seed for his salesman anywhere from 1-2 years prior to it being sold. At that times he makes the decision on what products he believes will best fit our area. Apparently once he has put his "order" in, it is difficult to make large changes on his allotment at a later time. So naturally, even if there is another product that is performing well, if he has not spoken for it he may not be very likely to promote it to his salesman because he has to move the seed he had already spoken for. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but here is my main question. As producers are we getting 100% access to a companies complete lineup when we speak with a salesman, or are we simply being shown a narrower # of options due to decisions that are made higher up the chain? I have recently spoken to 2 different salesman, both have a different district sales person over them. I am getting what I consider significantly different answers pertaining to certain varieties between the two salesman. My concern is that I'm not getting a straight line on the WHOLE product line from any salesman and that is concerning. For guys in the seed business what are your thoughts?

Edited by ioway 11/26/2014 12:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)