AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn storage mess-up HELP PLEASE
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

clint
Posted 11/26/2014 11:08 (#4202564)
Subject: corn storage mess-up HELP PLEASE

Georgetown, Kentucky
I had maybe 4000 bu of corn between 18 and 22 percent moisture in a 18ft 9 ring bin with a 10 horse motor on 24 inch fan. I cut it with the moisture meter in the combine off- but it needed cut anyway. we leveled the bin.

fan ran for 3 weeks or maybe 3.5- nonstop. had temps from 70 to 30 degrees. I believe the corn was 45 degrees when the motor quit. zero smell or heat at that time and the corn felt dry except very middle felt a tad wetter.

that was 2 weeks ago today. waiting on bin guy who was going to be there "the next day"

fan put on yesterday. I dumped 800 bu of 19 percent corn on top of the other stuff Monday.

went fan kicked on at 40 degrees yesterday and 50% humidity the water was rolling out of the bin. You could see the vapor from the ground and on top you could feel the warm and very damp air. the bin was leveled again last night and after 6 hours of the fan the corn smell was greatly reduced from the previous 2 hours. could still feel warm air. it got to 34 or so overnight- humidity still

am I ok? I will core the bin this weekend. could the other corn have heated and spoiled or "steeped"
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)