AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to use for barn pens
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

manureslinger
Posted 11/26/2014 10:22 (#4202471)
Subject: What to use for barn pens

Southern Minnesota
STO here Located close to the I35 I90 corridor . I Have 10-15 beef cows and young stock to go with them Feed everything out and keeping heifers for replacements and expansion.
I am building a 30x 100 hoop barn that I am going to divide into 3-4 pens. 1 for feeders 1 for the cows and 1 replacements The rest hay and a loading area. It will be a manure pack hoping to clean spring and late fall. Sidewalls are 9 foot high was going to put the bridge plank on one wall 8' high. There will be openings for the cattle to move into outside pens. On the feeding alley side 1 bridge plank on bottom with 2 1x4x8 insulated doors one flipping up the other down so I can close it up or open it up for more ventilation. I have the doors so no cost otherwise would leave open or curtain.

Here is my dilemma. I was thinking using guard rails but the cheapest I can find is $3.41 Per foot for a used 13.5 foot not delivered about 2 hours away (distance not a big deal) I can get bridge plank delivered for $2.00 per foot. Was thinking of using bridge plank for post as well. Was debating between 1 or putting 2 together they are 3x12. The downfall for the bridge planking for pens is they are heavy. But should be very sturdy and rugged. Would use for both inside and outside pens

some ? I have
Do you think 1 3x12 would be strong enough for post or would need 2 tied together? Might be able to get some 3x8 also.
Or instead of bridge plank for pens should I try to find better deal on the guard rail.
Looking at 10-12 foot gates for pen access.

any other ideas would be helpful or any holes in my plan you see flame away. Nothing wrong with other ideas others have been there done it more than me so. Thanks for your input.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)