AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is your most important input decision for 2015?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Luckyfarmer
Posted 11/27/2014 10:47 (#4204807 - in reply to #4202198)
Subject: RE: What is your most important input decision for 2015?

Central South Dakota
Marketing.......with our wide basis, trying to capture some carry before they take the carry out with basis appreciation is important.

Seed..........could easily amount to $10-$20 an acre in savings depending on the programs, negotiations, and seed dealer games.

Soil Testing and Variable rating to maximize the return of $$$ spent.

Scouting...........do I need the fungicide or can I leave it out, do I need the Cadillac weed program or will the chevy version work just fine.

Chemical shopping............they all say there is no margin in it, but it is amazing the $$$ you can squeeze out of them playing programs, researching generics instead of what they are pushing, doing the research of coming up with your own chemical program versus the program they design for you. We saved roughly between $50k-60K shopping and designing our own programs last year.

Land Rent.........a lot of our stuff is set up on crop share both parties have been happy with. They have prospered through the good times along with us, now they get to suffer through some of the rougher times along with us. The scary thing going on in our neck of the woods, is we have a set of young guys that inherited a farm running around paying 1.5-2x the going rent. Everyone's concern is how many people have to go for a ride or get wrecked before they run through all their free equity and new found wealth. Based on yield trends, cropping history for our area, rainfall, ect. it is not a sustainable business practice for the long term.

I don't think it will be one big thing that makes the difference, it's going to be a lot of little things that add up in the end that will make the difference between being profitable or losing $$$. On some crops this year, unless the price changes substantially or inputs go down, it may be one of those years where your plan has to be to lose the least amount possible on that crop and hopefully get through the down cycle we knew would reappear one day.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)