AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No tilling with a 6 Row planter. duals on the tractor vs. duals off?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Adam Suess
Posted 11/26/2014 11:43 (#4202631 - in reply to #4201161)
Subject: RE: No tilling with a 6 Row planter. duals on the tractor vs. duals off?

Hanska, Minnesota
A few years back I investigated the duals and pinch row issue. While you do compact some under the tire with the duals I could not find a pinch of compaction between the tires or any problem with root development with the pinch row on a 14,500, low inflated (7psi) radial equipped tractor on spread out duals in the dual track. That said I have huge issues with my dads 8430-T and central fill 24 row 1770nt. All 6 rows behind the wheels are hurt bad every year. 6" deep tracks from the planter are common. The total weight of that rig is way too much and tires on the planter way too small. I read a study once 15 years ago that total axle weight is the real killer and the smaller lighter the rig the better. The first tire does the most damage. So make that first tire as light and flexable as possible. Take off any extra weight you can including the fluid. If you have radials lower your tire pressure tell you have good cheeks. Assuming your planter has 4 wheels then I'd say your not hurting any thing with the duals especially in no till. I'm thinking about getting a striped down 8 row or maybe 12 row and pulling it with a 4,500# 55 hp mfwd utility tractor on radial duals for compaction reasons.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)