AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old farming Pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 11/25/2014 07:50 (#4200135 - in reply to #4199710)
Subject: RE: Old farming Pics

North of London
When I was quite young the (I will use the terminology used in these parts) 'sheaves' from the binders were 'stooked' and then hauled into the barn.
A custom threshing machine came along later in the fall powered by a steam tractor and they threshed the grain in the barn.
Neighbours traded labour to get the job done as the sheaves had to be thrown back out of the mow and fed to the thresher at the same time the straw was being blown back into a mow inside the same barn.
Grain was stored in a granary also inside that barn.
Original by hand with bushel containers and later machines had a grain thrower on them that forced the grain up a pipe so gravity would allow it to slide down a pipe to the grain bins.
The grain was removed by hand and ground to feed livestock the rest of the year.
A very dirty job.

By the time I was old enough to help they were 'stook threshing' by bringing the grain directly from the stooks to their own machine in the barn no longer a custom thresher.

This is a picture of the crew around 1950 or late 40ies.
A couple of uncles and 2 grandfathers included.
Surprised your pictures were in colour as most at that time were like this one black and white

Edited by OntarioCanuck 11/25/2014 07:53

(Threshing '51 B&W.jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Threshing '51 B&W.jpeg (102KB - 119 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)