AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sold calves-one short at the sale barn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

German Shepherd
Posted 11/24/2014 20:45 (#4199437)
Subject: Sold calves-one short at the sale barn

Sold most of the calves on Friday, when I picked up the check Friday evening I noticed they had one less sold then the count showed at the farm.    It was late and the gal in the office was about 2 hours behind with writing checks, plus I wanted to check with the trucker to make sure what the check in tickets showed.   Yep, one calf short.

Called down this morning and told the gal in the office, she calls back 2 hours later and says they can't prove what happened, so they'll pay on the average.   Then says you probably really weren't short, since they weren't long at the end of the sale.   Figured they counted wrong in the ring, they sold the right number of pounds. 

The thing is, if one group did have one more calf, the average weight would have been lower and the price per hundred would have been higher.   Also, how can their loadout count not be off?   Some buyer has to have one too many calves in his pen if that's what happened, and should have shown up.

I'm thinking I still came out ok, but not sure.   No way to prove anything, just hope it wasn't a case of a big one disappearing.

Heavy end steers weighed 608 @ 286.75.  = $1744 a head.   Average was around $1500.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)