AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Head Case IH 1660?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

kinzepower
Posted 11/24/2014 19:10 (#4199137 - in reply to #4198586)
Subject: RE: I'm not quite sure why eveyone seems to pooh-pooh the idea of running corn less than 2mph.....

SW Ontario
yieldpro69 - 11/24/2014 13:26

I bet I can combine more with a 6 row going 5mph than you with an 8 going 2 mph

Seriously??

A wider head will always get more done per day (with proper unloading support)...less time turning...it can be quantified...there is no argument with the numbers.

As far as capacity...well your combine is limited to so many bu/hr...however you get there the result is the same.

The faster your ground speed is...the more pressure is needed as the hydro-stat and that takes more fuel...the faster you go the more power is needed to push the combine instead of thresh grain.

As far as your above numbers...you are correct but if you are doing 6 rows at 5mph...the 8 row in the exact same conditions will be doing 3.75mph and using less fuel per acre and/or bu doing it.

Downsides...can the machine lift the head and drive the head?

Sometimes a smaller head will be more efficient when combined with bin size and field size that is not full at the furthest from the trucks etc.

In the end, the entire system all works together to accomplish the job and a larger head can make things awkward if working with less help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)