AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

geothermal heat pump
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

bushed52
Posted 11/23/2014 21:42 (#4197465 - in reply to #4196794)
Subject: RE: geothermal heat pump

NW Iowa
I've done a total install on two separate systems. Like a previous poster suggested, I'd recommend downloading the program from ClimateMaster's website. That program let's you experiment with various loop designs and depths in various soils and gives you an estimated yearly heating and cooling cost for your home and your area (based on zip code). Once you decide on your loop layout (number of loops and depth(s), the installation is pretty straightforward. I put all my connections in the basement. I'd recommend using manifolds with sharkbite fittings. On my first install I used manifolds that had hose barbs and I have some seepage from the fittings. The second one had the sharkbite fittings and I never had a problem. After reading that the slinky's could flatspot where the loops cross each other, I chose to just do the straight loops. Keep all the loops the same length. I also read that there should be at least 16' horizontal separation between the out and in legs of the loops. Mark the ends of each loop so you can identify them when you hook them up to the manifolds and connect each loop to the same respective location on each manifold. On both installs, I used reservoirs with self contained pumps. When I was ready to charge the loops, I closed all the valves except for one loop, fully opened the flow valve on the reservoir, and purged all the air from that loop, then opened the valves on the next loop, closed the valves on the first loop, purged that one, and continued like that until all the loops were charged. Lastly I used an IR gun and adjusted the flow valve on the reservoir to get the required temperature drop from the in and out ports of the heat pump. Nothing too difficult on any of it. Just be really careful when you are digging in the loops. The email address in my profile is good if you want more info. Good luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)