AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

geothermal heat pump
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tr70
Posted 11/23/2014 18:05 (#4196794)
Subject: geothermal heat pump

Anybody ever install their own geothermal heating/cooling system? We're looking to do something different, and plan on staying for the long term -- I'm 30 so it'd be using it for probably 30+ years. So with my age and so many irons in the fire, I have more time than money, but not an abundance of either. My local guys are talking about 15-20k for an installation with ground loops. Looks as if I can get the pump and loops and air handler for between 3-5k. I do my own wiring and plumbing, engine overhauls ect, so I'm not a total dope with things like this. Dont really feel like wasting 5k if it doesn't work, but if I can save 15k I'll give it a shot. I have my own backhoe, and blade -- so burrying the loops wouldnt be bad, then its just connections and hookup -- hard to pay that kinda money for a week job. Located in Northern IA -- big old farm house, but my 140k btu furnace keeps it ok -- right now I have an outdoor wood unit, and resistance electrical -- but we would like to have air. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Obviously this would be a next summer project, although I might try to buy yet this year if I can get some tax breaks (if I need them).

Secondly we (my wife) is planning on adding on in the future, so I'd like to try to size it be able to fit that new addition as well. I should have a good idea on the sq footage that we'd be looking at -- any suggestions on that -- I've read that you want to size to the house as if its oversized you lose efficaincy . Wife says this addition will happen soon, but I'm thinking 5-10 years out if it happens at all. So I want the capability, but not the commitment if you know what I saying.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)