AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Had a question this morning about the dollar.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

LongKC
Posted 11/24/2014 00:29 (#4197681 - in reply to #4197668)
Subject: RE: Please continue.

Middle Tennessee
Hall thank you for that, you're a knowledgeable fellow and you're good with the language!

On the demographics side, in 1997 I began an 8-year sentence in the DC area. When I got there, you could buy a house in the Mt. Pleasant neighborhood for less than 150k (of course I didn't). That whole region (and it might be bigger than you think, the suburbs are endless) underwent an incredible boom in valuation and construction while I was there, and subsequently. I spent a lot of time getting around, waiting for buses, subways and so forth for those years, got a long, street-level look at the area. Whole mini-cities were built over the scale of weeks, and as it was happening, I never saw a single guy swinging a hammer who didn't look Salvadoran. Salvadorans built the whole place, from the Whole Foods in Arlington to the condos in Silver Spring.

From the coasts, it doesn't so much look like a demographic crap-out here in the US. I see a lot of young people from Mexico and Central America, East Asia,
South Asia, and East Africa. It's a distinctively American advantage perhaps.

For some of those years, my roommate and good friend (he doesn't seem to have a lot of time for me these days) would sit in the bleacher section for the Fed meetings, (he gave me a tour of the of the place, bleachers are for advisers, about 6 rows deep, 6 seats per row). He used to tell me how the Japanese economy was a "basket case." Well, evidently it was a contagious condition. But maybe the US has a "demographic" advantage.

Edited by LongKC 11/24/2014 00:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)