AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

today's 2 skunk live trapping tips
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Bruce NW Ia
Posted 11/22/2014 13:27 (#4194246 - in reply to #4192547)
Subject: Update

Cherokee County, Northwest Iowa
My second live trap, set further back in the dimly lit barn had a skunk in it (yes, I checked a little better this time-only one).

Plan A was to shoot it where it was, worry about smell later-barn smells 2-3 times a year like skunks anyway. Unable to get a safe clear shot off.

Plan B-I have done it once before, and had heard many times, in person and on NAT, just walk up slowly with a tarp, cover trap, carry outside, and then proceed from there. Was pressed for time this am, thought what the heck, got the tarp, got Mr. # 3 outside without incident, removed tarp, .410.

Did some research just now on internet, believe that these skunks are probably the main cause of all the burrowing in the barn, and not woodchucks, as I have been thinking.

Granted, skunks do have their place in the food chain, but between them making a real mess in the barn by burrowing under concrete, and being the main reservoir of rabies here in the Midwest, I am still taking them out of the picture. bruce.

P.S. I think the Carhartt coat is going to be ok, it has aired out quite nicely, wasn't all that bad to start with, will probably wash it next week when Julie at work-nobody better stop at Jule's office and tell her that, though!!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)