AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Html Knowledge needed again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

torn
Posted 11/21/2014 23:18 (#4193327 - in reply to #4193274)
Subject: RE: Html Knowledge needed again

roaming
justbad7 - 11/21/2014 21:29

OK thanks torn. Did a little research myself and found that if there was an anchor that would have worked also. I am trying to contact them but so far no luck

Soooo, I spent a little more time on it. It could be done with the site as-is, using a couple of PHP functions, but you have one fairly significant limitation:

The poetryoutloud homepage doesn't always include the entire poem. It includes the first X characters, and then there's a "read more" link if the poem is longer than X characters. To read more, you click the link, which takes you to a different page. The URL of this "different page" will be different every day, meaning it will be very hard to impossible to write a script that automatically finds that URL. (The difficulty depends on the algorithm that generates the URL). IF such a script were possible, you could grab the entire poem from that URL each day, instead of from the homepage. But, the most you could get from the homepage itself, which was your original goal, is the first X characters. I don't see a way around that, without the site's webmaster changing the behavior of the homepage.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)