AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting with RTK, harvest with WAAS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

onionfarmer
Posted 11/18/2014 10:27 (#4185557)
Subject: Planting with RTK, harvest with WAAS

Corinne, Utah
I have had a problem for the last two years that I haven't been able to figure out. I plant my corn with a 6 row planter on a tractor that runs an Autofarm A-5 on RTK. I have my own base station. I log my varieties with an Integra that is hooked up to the A-5 for NMEA messages. Next year the A-5 will be out of the picture, since I bought a RTK Geosteer, (which also eliminates the solution of using the 1500 to log the varieties because now the Integra has to do the steering too) but I think I will still have the same problem. I harvest with a 6 row head on the combine, and use a 1500 for position hooked up to the Integra. Now for the problem. I have noticed that if the rows are east-west, the combine is offset about 7.5 feet to the south from where the reference map thinks they are. I know I am on the right row because I can see the varietal differences, or I am on the first rows in the field. The 7.5 feet is especially problematic because the variety logging in the combine can't make up it's mind as to which variety it is harvesting so it flip flops back and forth with all the beeping too. The first year it happened I thought I was just unlucky that WAAS had drifted like that but I couldn't wait to harvest the corn; but it has been the same thing very consistently for two seasons. Now if the rows are north-south everything lines up quite well. I think the problem lies in the correction signal. The position lock on my base station is offset from WAAS 7.5 feet to the north. One more detail on my setup, I have a permanent base station, and all of my fields are within range of that base so I don't use repeaters. Is there a setting somewhere (in the base station itself, or in the Integra) that I could move the position of the base or the position of the WAAS so they would line up better? And. . . I can't just run all my rows N-S due to surface irrigation and field sizes (that would have been too easy). Of course, I could put RTK on the combine too and everything should line up, and that is something I am contemplating, but I would have to spend more money. So I am trying to start with the cheapest solution. Thanks for your help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)