AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

UAV Drone Poll
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

CornfedHusker
Posted 11/18/2014 18:01 (#4186294 - in reply to #4186006)
Subject: RE: UAV Drone Poll

Nebraska

Satman makes a point, perhaps bias, but a point none the less. Scaling the data acquisition to large numbers is a problem. Fortunately, A problem that if you throw enough money at, can be fixed.

I have been using an Ebee this year. It is a fixed wing solution that is incredibly easy to deploy, fly and stitch. What I can add to this thread is this, There are special tools for every job. UAV's CAN compete with Satellite and Manned flights. They offer more resolution, and much better timing. Just because my UAV flies at "400ft" doesn't mean I can't produce meter or half meter orthos. It means that I can fly the field once and produce ortho images from 1inch per pixel up to and beyond satellite quality in much less than an hour after the flight. (low quality imagery stitches very quickly) Then if the customer wishes to "dig in" on an interesting part of the field, I or He can then run his images again at full resolution to see the problem spot. Satellite imagery from landsat is every 8 to 16 days. Resolution is limited, And a double take is not possible. There are other sats to get imagery from but no where close to the frequency i can produce with a UAV. NOW, that being said, the satellite is ALWAYS watching. This "always on" availability of imagery is a great resource if you are trying to diagnose a slow developing issue. I can see a future were we use sat imagery on the mega cheap, to watch for a "flare up" Then call in the UAVs for closer inspection.

When using a Manned mission, costs can be spread out if planning is done in advance to do multiple acres. However, I would imagine I could fly the field cheaper with my ebee than someone in a airplane on a field by field basis. Could you get a plane to fly a 1/4 for $500? Probably they'd say $1500 but you get 4 quarters of imagery. I don't know, I never researched the going rates. I'd love to hear some. For ME, HERE, If I were in this business currently, I'd get my plane paid off in a hurry.

As to the other questions above. Fixed wing is for mapping and a multirotor is a replacement for crop scouting on foot, and some "cool" video/pictures. As to which one survives a crash better? If the motor quits on a Fixed wing, the system becomes a glider. If the motors quit on a multi-rotor, it becomes a rock.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)