AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Legal cattle rustling
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

bshannon
Posted 10/31/2014 07:03 (#4153248)
Subject: Legal cattle rustling

Sent 3 head of longhorn highlander x cattle to local butcher yesterday. Talked to them on the phone, stopped in 2 days before and discussed it with their buyer. Oh yeah, they really wanted the beef and would pay market. Specifically told him Longhorn-Highlander. Means horns right? Cattle arrive, door to cattle pens is so narrow it's always a challenge to get any animal to unload, but these critters absolutely would not attempt to leave trailer. Finally shot them and drug them out. Oh, did I mention that delivery was done by employee, and just before killing I get a call from the buyer that he doesn't want them cause of the horns; but he would take them at a .60 # cut in price. Cattle were there. I didn't want to have them hauled back home again, so I reluctantly agreed. Made a trip up there in person to let them know my thoughts. The buyer had the balls to tell me I said they were polled and they didn't want to pay for the "big head" and horns, Cost them too much. At that point I told them fine, you don't want them, I'll have them sold within an hour. Didn't take me 1/2 hr and I had all the meat sold. It will be processed there, but that's the last time they will ever see my business.

At roughly 625# each hanging weight, they would have screwed me out of over $1,000. I understand not everyone wants to deal with horned cattle, but they knew what was coming in and thought they could make some easy money. I made sure I got the skulls and horns back, they would have sold them for a little extra on the side.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)